International Students

LST welcomes students from all over the world and is proud to have a thriving international body of students living and studying at LST.

For some international students, studying at our campus in Northwood is not an option and so our online programmes have a great diversity of nationalities. We also have a large community of Research students scattered around the world who study remotely. On our Northwood campus, we have students from all over the world, including France, Germany, Malaysia, Singapore, Ghana, Italy, USA and Nigeria (to name just a few)!

We recognise that if you are coming from outside of the United Kingdom, you may not be familiar with higher education in England – do not worry! LST provides support for writing essays in the form of study skills which all new and continuing students are required to attend. Additionally, LST lecturers operate an open-door policy, which together with the peer-to-peer support available, ensures that your study experience is a positive one.

Socially, an international group meets regularly to chat, watch films and enjoy great food. They also regularly pray and worship together. Many of our international students have left their families in their home countries to study at LST and so they provide support for one another. This group is open to any international student.

Throughout the year, LST holds several international evenings that enable international students to share their culture with the rest of the student body, and to celebrate the diversity of our students.

Important Information for International Applicants

Visa Requirements

All EU and non-EU applicants will need to apply for a visa to study at LST. You can apply for a Student visa (which has replaced the Tier 4 General visa) to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you if you meet the following requirements:

  • You have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor.

LST is a licensed sponsor for all of its undergraduate and most of its postgraduate courses.

  • You have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course.

You must have enough money to pay for your course and support yourself in the UK.

How much money you need depends on your circumstances and what you’re applying for. For visa purposes, you will need money to pay for your tuition fees for one academic year (up to 9 months). You will also need to show that you have enough money to support yourself – unless you’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months on the date of your application or come from a country that is exempt from this requirement.

How much money you need also depends on where you will be studying, whether in London or outside London. LST is located within the London Borough of Hillingdon and therefore falls within London. For courses in London, the amount you will need is £1,334 per month (for up to 9 months), for a total of £12,006. This amount, in addition to any balance of your first year’s tuition fees that you have outstanding, will be required to show in your bank statement. However, any money you pay towards your course and/or accommodation fees will be deducted from this amount and the balance will be expected to show on your bank statement for at least 28 days and up to 31 days before your visa application.

If you are a citizen of any of the following countries, you are exempt from the financial requirement and will only be required to demonstrate it by the caseworker working on your visa application: We would normally check that you meet the financial requirement before we process your application and issue a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS), which you will need for your visa application.

  • You can speak, read, write and understand English

To study in the UK at a degree level or above, you will need to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and achieve a minimum score of 5.5 in all four elements, which is equivalent to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level B2. For Postgraduate taught and research degrees, the minimum score is normally 7.0.

You can take the IELTS at any UKVI approved centre or provider:

We would normally check that you meet the English Language requirement before we process your application and issue a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS), which you will need for your visa. If you are a citizen of or have a degree from the following countries, then you already satisfy the English Language requirement. Please visit: to check whether you are exempt and do not need to take an IELTS test. We will only issue a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) when we are satisfied that you meet all the requirements set out above.

If you are applying from any of the following listed countries, you will also need to take a Tuberculosis test:

When to apply

When you can apply depends on whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK.

Applying from outside the UK:

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Applying from inside the UK:

You are able to apply from within the UK if you are extending a Student visa you already have or switching from another type of visa.

Please go to for more information.

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. How much you pay depends on how long your visa lasts. Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.

Please visit here for more information:

Bringing Your Dependents

You may be able to bring your partner and children (‘dependants’) if you’re applying to study a Research programme. You cannot, however, bring any dependants with you if you’re applying to study either an undergraduate course or postgraduate course (unless it’s research).

Working and Studying on a Visa

If your application is successful, your student visa will state what you can and cannot do, for example whether you can work for a maximum of 20 hours during term-time.

Proof of Right to Study for Non-Student Visa Holders

If you are residing in the UK on a visa other than a student visa and wish to enrol in a course at LST, you will be asked to provide evidence of your right to study during the application process. If you are found not to have the right to study in the UK, you will not be offered a place.

If you have any questions about your specific visa type and its eligibility for study, please contact our admissions office at

For more detailed information on visa requirements, please visit the Home Office’s website at

Student Testimony

“What I enjoy about being a student at London School of Theology is that being proactive opens up numerous opportunities. The school is flexible in catering to the students’ needs. Additionally, the staff members at the vocational office provide valuable assistance in guiding students through our career planning process.”